Northgate, a new suburb approximately 12 kilometres north of Adelaide, was created when a petition was made to develop the area and annex it from the existing suburb of Northfield in 1998 in a joint venture between the State Government and AV Jennings.
Prospect, located to the north of Adelaide’s city centre surrounded by the suburbs of Kilburn, Fitzroy, and Medindie. Prospect’s boundaries are defined by Main North Road to the East; Carter Street, Audley Avenue and Avenue Road to the South; The Gawler railway line on the west and Livingstone Avenue, Angwin Avenue and Henrietta Street north of Regency Road.
Clearview, an older member of Adelaide’s inner northern suburbs is located only 11km north east of the Adelaide CBD. The majority of its residential buildings were constructed in the 1950s, with Clearview Post Office first opening its doors on 19 January 1954, prior to this most of the land was used for almond farming.
Oakden is located approximately 12 kilometres to the north-east of the Adelaide CBD and was established as a housing estate named “Regent Gardens” in the early 1990’s. Located on former Department of Agriculture land, it is home to Roy Amer Reserve and wetlands that serve as a storm water capture and aquifer recharge system as well as a native fish sanctuary.
Walkley Heights is a modern residential subdivision 15 km north of Adelaide. The suburb is located on land formerly comprising the prison farm for Yatala Labour Prison, and includes fifty-five hectares of land formerly owned by R.M Williams which was compulsorily acquired during the time of former State Premier Sir Thomas Playford. The suburb (and one adjacent main road) is named after John Walkley, an early pioneer in South Australia.
Greenacres, considered as one of the inner suburbs of Greater Adelaide is located approximately 9km north east of the Adelaide CBD. As is common in the area, most of the original Greenacres homes were built in the 1950’s being of double brick or cement sheet construction.
Hillcrest, located some 11km north east of the Adelaide CBD has now evolved into a desirable option for those that seek near city living in the north east, and has benefitted considerably from vigorous urban renewal within its boundaries and the development of the Oakden, Northgate and Lightsview precincts nearby.
Northfield, located approximately 10km north east of the Adelaide CBD has its earliest known naming origins from the 1890’s in conjunction with the North Field Athletics Club. The area also famous as the landing ground of Sir Ross and Keith Smith’s “Vickers Vimy” airplane.
Windsor Gardens, located approximately 10km north east of the Adelaide CBD has its earliest known naming origins from Nathaniel Hale, who, whilst engaged in selling off the land now known as Windsor Gardens in October of 1849 suggested “the regal name of Windsor as the only one capable of indicating its merit”.
Enfield, located approximately 10km north east of the Adelaide CBD, named by the early settler George Hickox, a 35 year old labourer, of farming stock who arrived in Adelaide in 1840 with his wife and three children, thus the ‘Village of Enfield’ was born.
Pooraka, located approximately 12 km north of Adelaide’s city centre is bisected by Dry Creek and Montague Road through it and is largely a green, leafy suburb with large blocks. Pooraka’s Triangle Park on South Terrace serves as a central feature of the suburb.
James Rowe came to South Australia in 1836, spending some time on Kangaroo Island then settling with his family in the Ingle Farm area in 1848. They initially took up 100 acres in section 3030, Hundred of Yatala in 1849, using the land primarily for farming wheat, barley, peas and hay.
Klemzig is a suburb of Adelaide approximately 8km north-east of the CBD. The location of the first settlement of German emigrants to Australia in the 19th century Klemzig is named after a village near the city of Zuellichau in southeastern Brandenburg in the German state of Prussia, where they originated from.